Our School - School History 1957 - on

A Brief History of St Mary's

In 1956 Bishop Goody of Bunbury approached Mother Bernard, Mother General of the Presentation Congregation in W.A. about staffing a proposed school in Boyup Brook. The answer was positive and St Mary’s Catholic School, Boyup Brook was blessed and opened by Bishop Goody on 3 February 1957.

St Mary's School in 1958

The school consisted of two classrooms, a small music room and toilets. It was staffed by two Presentation Sisters from “Iona” Presentation Convent, Mosman Park, Mother Assumpta and Sr Michael, with approximately seventy five students in attendance.

In 1974 Father Kevin Johnston with inspired spirit and enthusiasm, helped to oversee many projects and development, as well as great fundraising. 1980 saw the blessing and opening of the new church and school library.

New Church building completed in 1980

The entrance gates were erected in 1982 when Bishop Quinn officiated at the 25th anniversary celebrations for the opening of the school and the arrival of the Presentation Sisters. Sadly the Sisters had to withdraw from the school in 1989 and lay staff have led the school since.

1990 saw the introduction of the Pre-Primary.
 

Library and Administration Constructed 2010

Today St Mary’s caters for students from Kindergarten to Year 7.
 

 

203.34.122.153